--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, a_non_moose_ff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> That the simple statment, "the intellect is a quite useful*
> tool in the attainment of higher states" was found so
> incorrect by some readers as to be hilarious, at least
> can't help but raise a smile.

That's a topic I participated in, but it was Barry who viciously
attacked you with his laughter. I only disagreed in a respectful tone.

> So much talk on this list, particularly by neo-advaitans
> or pseudo-advaitans, is about the great value of
> self-inquiry. What exactly is used in self-inquiry, ones
> big toe?

What's really funny for me right now is how everything is flipped
upside down and inside out. I have zero formal training in
self-inquiry, and asking myself "who am I" used to result in nothing
but frustration and an immediate shift of attention to anything else.
Recently, I've been asking myself the same question, and it literally
shuts down my intellect, every time. I ask the question and I
immediately zone out into awareness. So, what's being used? I don't
know! It seems like it starts with intellect, but the answer is
utterly beyond it.

Similarly, for the past 10-12 years, I couldn't tolerate more than 3-5
minutes of TM at a time. But, the other morning, I woke up at 3:30am
and sat up to meditate. No mantra came to me, and I just sat there,
silently witnessing the breath, which became very faint. And, 20
minutes went by in a flash. In all my years of doing TM, I *never* had
as profoundly deep a meditation as that. I was all like, "No no no!
You don't meditate to awaken! You awaken so you can meditate!" LOL!!!

Alex