> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I'll try again, briefly.  To laugh *at* someone is,
> > virtually by definition, an attack.  Confirming that
> > one is laughing *at* somebody is therefore equivalent
> > to stating one's intention, so no minds need to be
> > read.
> >
> > Please note that in this instance neither Lawson
> > nor myself was the target of the attack; we were
> > commenting on the hypocrisy of the attacker
> > claiming it *wasn't* an attack on the person being
> > attacked.
> >
> > (The attacker, needless to say, went on to attack
> > both of us, not even under the guise of laughing
> > at us; and among other absurdities, pretended that
> > we were somehow "threatened" when we hadn't been
> > the targets in the first place.)
>
> And all of this because I found something
> that Anon said so funny that I laughed out
> loud about it, and said so.  What I found
> so funny was the glorification of the
> intellect by someone stuck in the intellect.

Right, you attacked anon, just as we said.

> And so, as it turned out, who on FFL chose to
> turn my laughter into a big battle?

Actually, you did, if you'll recall.  All I did
was point out that laughing at someone constituted
an attack.  Then you attacked me, at considerable
length, for saying so, and went on to attack Lawson
for agreeing with me, then posted a long diatribe
in which you suggested laughing at someone was a
teaching method.

  The other
> members of FFL who are classically stuck in the
> intellect, so much so that they consistently
> attempt to present being stuck in the intellect
> as a pathway to enlightenment, that's who.

Since neither Lawson (as far as I can recall)
nor I have ever suggested being stuck in the
intellect is a pathway to enlightenment, it's
not clear who you're referring to here.  In fact,
I can't think of *anyone* on this forum who has
ever made such a suggestion.

  The
> whole scene really *IS* pretty funny, IMO.  :-)
>
> I don't know about anyone else, but the
> thing that *I* have learned from all of
> this is that for some people the idea of
> being laughed at is so painful and so scary
> that it *always* feels like an attack to
> them.

Laughing at someone is always an attack,
virtually by definition.  As I've noted
several times, however, that doesn't mean
that the person laughed at *feels* attacked.
You're conflating the perspective of the
attacker with the perspective of the target
of the attack.  It's entirely possible to
recognize that someone has attacked you
without feeling victimized by the attack,
you see.

  That's essentially very, very sad,