--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > The truth is that you've got the
> > > idea that everyone on Purusha is a sponger and a baby...
> >
> > Not everyone, but certainly this turkey.  :-)
>
> Of course it isn't "everyone".
>
> But you're close, Barry.  And if you had more contact with the
> TMO and all things TM than you have had over the past 20 years
> you would know that you aren't too far off the mark.

I knew enough of these guys during my time with the
TMO to know what they're like. The vibe is unmis-
takable.

> There are two types of people on purusha:
>
> 1) Those that are living off of trust funds or inheritances.  And
> since, thankfully, Purusha is not THAT expensive, if you've
> inherited $200,000-300,000 (certainly NOT out of the range of what
> one would inherit in this day and age in America), you can pay
> your monthly cost of Purusha and even have a little "tuck" money
> budgeted for candy bars and new socks when you can go to town
> once a month.

Nothing wrong with this, if what you want out of life
is to sit in a room with your eyes closed most of your
life. At least they're paying for it themselves.

> 2) Those that don't have trust funds or inheritances.  And they
> are the stereotypical "turkey" that you describe above.

Well, you don't really have to look very far to find
the MODEL for this behavior, do you?

I mean, what could be clearer?  It's Maharishi himself.
The guy has turned begging and just assuming that other
people should pay for his life into an artform.  He's
become a billionaire by doing this.

> AND, Barry, if,
> like I said, you were closer to the TMO all these years, you would
> know from first-hand experience that this is so because you would
> be solicited every other month from one or another Purusha asking
> you to help them meet their monthly Purusha cost.

The thing that's fascinating to me is the "trickle-
down craziness" involved with this. It's not just a
case of some lazy fucks realizing that there is an
easy way to avoid working, and that it's called
begging. That's just one side of the phenomenon and
of the conditioning.

The other side of the conditioning is seen in the
*sponsors*, the people who have been taught that
there is some *benefit* to themselves that accrues
when they pay so that these guys and gals never have
to work.  It's a remarkably symbiotic relationship;
one side of the equation couldn't exist without
the other.

I know that a lot of people here and in spiritual
trips in general just assume that this is all a given,
and that it's always worked this way -- people who
have chosen a full-time spiritual "career" being
supported by those who have money and have chosen
a more householder path.  I'm challenging the very
*idea* because I really believe that it's a *bad*
idea, and that most of the problems that one can
find in *any* spiritual tradition spring from this
assumption, and from this practice. Historically,
the spiritual traditions in which the monks or
clergy pay their own way in life, and are *not*
supported by the "rank and file" members of the
organization, seem to me to be much cleaner and
spiritually healthier.

Just *think* about it for a moment -- it's one of
the biggest scams in human history. In almost every
era and in every tradition, all that you had to do
to avoid getting a job like everybody else was to
claim to be "spiritual" and get other people to pay
so that you could be "spiritual" full time.  I'm
open to the possibility that many of these full-time
teachers might have done a few nice things for the
world, but when you look at it objectively, it's
really quite amazing that no one really challenges
the status quo of this whole scene and questions
it.  The meme of the rank-and-file rabble paying
for the lives of the spiritual elite is that
taken for granted, that ingrained in the collective
consciousness.