As the author of an early software app which calculated a number of obscure astro. variables for observers, Dr. Pete's observation are close for an observer on earth--approx. 1 degree every 72 years. As you probably know, western astrologers stopped including precession in their horoscopes long before the first millenium CE, thus they depart from real accuracy in a number of ways since that era.

Interestingly when I purchased a slew of texts from the library of a Sanskrit scholar who passed away in the 80's, among the works I got was the Surya Siddhanta, an old Hindu astronomical text. Apparently the Indian astronomers had a very old understanding of precession as this text included the formulae for these calcs.