On Jan 30, 2006, at 11:50 AM, doctor_gabby_savy wrote:

My main question still holds. Does the orientation of a building to

the sun really change at that rate? Like pyramids, 4000 yrs  / 500 is

about 8 degrees. Has the orientation of the pyramids to the sun

changed 8 degrees? A recent poster says no. If he is correct, then

Peter's point about SV getting out of whack over time  is invalid.

No, it does not. You would be operating on a false assumption and that gross assumption is that since the earth's axis is currently about 23.5 degrees IIRC, that it goes back to the zero position! It does NOT do this. The wobble or nutation is only about 2.5 or 3 degrees--that is it wobble between about 22 degrees and 25 degrees (don't take that as exact, I'm going on memory here).

For example I've been at archaeoastronomical sites, of which there are quite a few in New England, which all date from about 10,000 years ago--after the last ice age. The precessional change was only about 2 degrees IIRC. It was not a large number.