Whilst speaking about meditation MMY has usually made sure to
position a picture of Guru Dev behind him . Also, when speaking about
Guru Dev himself he always held him to be a shining example of
spirituality and completeness. So for TMers, Guru Dev represents the
model of spiritual attainment - enlightenment. Whilst there are other
models in other traditions, in the world of TM Guru Dev is the
primary example.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I got a series of shocks when
I came to read of Guru Dev's lifestory and teachings. I had envisaged
someone whose teachings would be light, optimistic, yogic and bright.
Instead, I read in his teachings one steeped in the Hindu teachings
which many of us would have associated with the Middle Ages rather
than a man of enlightenment.

Be that as it may, he is the example that has been offered by MMY,
and therefore deserves close consideration. Clearly, there is an
undercurrent of humour and light pervading the teachings. But I am
still concerned that enlightenment as portrayed by him seems so
against freedom of thought and action. It appears that MMY too had
reservations about his attitude to fatalism. I quote from a
biographical sketch he wrote in 1955, two years after Guru Dev's
passing:-
'He for himself would allow things to go on as they are ordained by
the hand of destiny, but His devotees have many a time changed the
course of fate of themselves and of the people.'