--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> on 2/3/06 3:30 PM, bbrigante at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>

> > If Leon was arrested entering Switzerland, then he certainly did
not
> > pay a bribe, but a fine to the court. It's not impossible that
if he
> > was caught exiting Spain without declaring the money,
>
> That's what happened.
>
> >that he did
> > pay a bribe after being arrested,
>
> That too. Billy Clayton and Shannon Dickson flew to Madrid with a
briefcase
> full of money which they handed over to some officials to get him
out. I
> don't know why the officials didn't just take the money Leon was
trying to
> smuggle. Maybe it was insufficient.

Well, maybe insufficeint, but pocketing the original money would
have been a problem for the bribe-happy Spanish officials, because
there was a paper trail on the money they confiscated from Leon
generated by the fact that they arrested him, and it would have
either had to go on to trial or they would have had to return the
money to Leon. By bringing in a new suitcase of money for the bribe,
the officials just put the new loot in their pockets without issuing
a receipt and then got a receipt from Leon or whoever when they
returned the old money after dropping the charges "in the interest
of justice" after a "thorough investigation."

> >but it's more likely that he would
> > also have paid a legitimate fine to the Spanish court just as he
> > would have in Switzerland (or the U.S., where penalties for
failure
> > to declare can be catastrophic -- they can seize all the
money/etc
> > not declared).
>

> The way I heard the story from Shannon, it didn't sound
legitimate. Shannon