--- sparaig wrote:

> --- Rick Archer wrote:
> >
> > I've heard both Maharishi and local enlightened
> > friends say that they're often surprised by the
> > things they find themselves doing. ...
> > Another friend said, "I was going to the post
> office but found myself at the coffee shop," implying
> > that something other than an
> > individuality was in the driver's seat.
>
> That's true regardless of enlightenment or not. We are creatures of
> habit and unexplained behavior. Surely you've noticed this in
> yourself? And MMY's assumptiona bout someone needing to hear what he
> had to say sounds like his OWN interpretation of his own unexplained
> behavior. THat's not to say he wasn't correct, only that MMY had no
> more clue about the explaination for the unexplained than anyone else
> did.

There's a school of thought that individuals pick up
thoughts the way radios pick up signals. Maybe we
find ourselves surprised at thoughts and actions
because they're not really "ours."

I got to thinking about this upon reading the following
at the Wikipedia page for Rudolf Steiner:

"In his epistemological works, he advocated the
Goethean view that thinking itself is a perceptive
instrument for ideas, just as the eye is a perceptive
instrument for light."

What do people think of this? Does it jibe with your experience?

If so, it speaks to the influence of collective consciousness
on the individual.