> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
> wrote:
> >
> > FWIW, it's not uncommon for writers to have the experience
> > of what they write coming *through* them from "somewhere"
> > else, almost as if they were taking dictation.
> >
> > I'm not a writer, but I've had that experience a couple
> > of times; several of my writer clients have had it.
> >
> > With one of my clients, every once in a while as I'm
> > editing his work, I'll come upon a really rough patch
> > and find myself effortlessly rewriting it, even adding
> > stuff that should have been there but isn't.
> >
> > He's always thrilled when I do that.  I kid him by
> > telling him that for some reason his muse wasn't able
> > to get through to him when he was writing the part I
> > fixed, so she contacted me instead when I was editing
> > it and gave me what she couldn't get him to receive.
> >
> > I'm not entirely sure there isn't something to that.
>
> What you're describing in writers is commmon,
> but it's also open to interpretation.  Another
> way of seeing the same phenomenon is just
> "getting out of your own way."  When you do,
> the creativity flows.

Of course.  But in this case the interesting part,
to me, is that I seem to be able to access, on the
occasions I described, the flow of creativity he
*should* have been able to access had he not been
getting in his own way.

> Where the person who experiences this flow
> chooses to believe it flows *FROM* is another
> question, one that is all wrapped up in personal
> beliefs and/or religion.

Did you really take my notion of a "muse" literally??

ROTFL!!

None of my writer clients who have this experience
attempt to identify a source; they just report
the experience.

  The sense of flow is