> Poverty -- real poverty -- has been eliminated in the USA.

While I agree with your premise, some might differ about the homeless.
Sleeping in a doorway and eating out of garbage bins is not too much
different in LA, Rio, Manila or Delhi. Except in the US, usually a
meal a day or so is available at a shelter. And emergency rooms ae
maybe available for medical emergencies.

Not to say that living at "poverty level" in the US is comfortable  or
easy. But it usually means a roof, regular meals, indoor plumbing and
daily bathing, color TV, music access, library access, internet
access, functional, even stylish clothes, and even a car -- or at
least public transportation usually is available. And assisted medical
care, fee education for kids.

"Poverty level" in a developing country often means little or none of
the above.

> This is an
> incredible success story and should be acknowledged.

And real poverty has been reduced, and general standards of living
have risen, in India, China and elsewhere, since markets were reformed
and opened in the 80's.