--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't think it's much use to tell a poor person that he or she
is better off than
> many people were 100 years ago. The poor do not need history
lessons.
> What really lies behind Shemp's claim that poverty in the US has
been
> eliminated is a reactionary political agenda that is typical of
the Bush
> administration.

When I read stuff like this about the Bush Administration, I don't
know whether to laugh or cry.

feste37, have you ever looked at the federal government budget?  If
you had you would know that the Bush Administration is spending MORE
of our money than LESS...even on all the varied social programs and
entitlement programs that the federal government doles out.

It seems to me that you are buying into the stereotype of the Bush
Administration as some sort of conservative cut-back-on-government
right-wingers when they are the exact opposite...that's why many
conservatives are so unhappy with them.

We're now over $2.4 trillion in our annual spending as a federal
government...WAY more than under Clinton.

It's people like ME who want to cut back on all those social
programs, NOT people like Bush.

> In fact, I'm surprised they haven't thought of this one, since
> they do have a habit of dealing with problems by redefining terms
and then
> claiming that the problem has been reduced or eliminated
(redefining what is
> a pollutant, for example, to claim that pollution is being
reduced). If you
> redefine poverty so as to claim that it no longer exists, you can
then just let the
> poor rot, which is of course the real aim of the exercise.
>

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, a_non_moose_ff <no_reply@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <feste37@> wrote:
> > >
> > > If your point is that poverty in America is very different from
> > poverty in, say,
> > > Bangladesh, of course that is true. It's obvious. Poverty is a
> > relative concept.
> >
> > Yes and no. There is an "absolute" level of poverty that was the
point
> > of the original remarks -- characterized by severe lack of food,
> > shleter, clothing and transportation, and of course higher level
> > "necessities" -- healthcare, education, etc. This absolute level
of
> > poverty has been almost eliminated in modern countries. That is a
> > great achievement given that it has been a hallmark of
mankind "forever".