--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> All that was needed were those two magical words:
> "Maharishi said..."
>
> Or the more defensive version: "BUT Maharishi said..."

Or, come to think of it, *any* sentence starting with
the word 'BUT...'

Think about it. I've been in spiritual organizations
where the students *don't* tend to argue, to start
sentences with 'BUT...' and present another point of
view that is obviously meant to be the "right" or
dominant point of view.  In such organizations,
replies tend to start with, 'AND...,' as if the
speaker were merely introducing another way of
seeing the situation, one that is not necessarily
superior to the point of view he or she is bouncing
off of.  It's more of a give-and-take, an exchange
of different points of view, none necessarily better
or more correct than another.

Compare and contrast this to the TMO, in which we
hear sentences that begin with 'BUT...' a *lot*.
My suggestion for why this is is that the very
nature of TM teaching is pedantry.  TM teachers
are trained to memorize the "right" answer to
every question, the "right" comeback to every
criticism.  And these "right" answers get passed
along to the TM rank and file, who then tend to
mindlessly repeat them whenever the same question
or criticism arises.

The repeated buzzphrases and dogma were originally
presented as "right;" they are repeated as "right."
There is always the supposition that there *IS* a
"right" answer to the question or criticism, a
"right" point of view to take in such situations.

The word 'BUT...," used to introduce a sentence,
in most cases defines someone who is convinced that
he or she is "right," and is about to make a stand
and attempt to convince the other person that he
or she *IS* "right."  It's the introduction to a
butting of heads, an attempt to establish dominance.

It's the expression of a self that feels challenged,
an ego fighting to convince itself not only that it
knows the "truth," but that it exists.