--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, a_non_moose_ff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, a_non_moose_ff <no_reply@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > AND many book buyers depend on these lists to narrow down the
list
> > > of books they will consider buying.
> >
> > That's actually a much smaller factor in the
> > equation.  MUCH smaller.  And it doesn't kick in
> > until the book has been on the lists for at least
> > a few weeks.
>
> And thats your opnion. Fine. I have a different view.

Again, it ain't an opinion, it's facts and statistics.

> > > seller status is not some prize awarded for the
> > > quality of a book;
> > >
> > > I disagree, per above.
> >
> > Well, it's not a matter of disagreement; it's a
> > matter of fact.  And certainly nothing you said
> > above is relevant to this point.
>
> Ah. Its FACT. Why didn't you say so. Well if its a FACT, I have no
> case. Oh, btw, who and what deterimined it a FACT?

The book industry, of course.

> > You would have a great deal of difficulty finding
> > anyone knowledgeable about publishing who would
> > say best-seller lists are a measure of the quality
> > of the books on them.
>
> BZZZZ another STRAWMAN!! I never said they were.

Yes, you did.  See above.  You said you disagreed
that best-seller lists were not a measure of the
quality of a book.

> > > And "ethics" is a bit of a
> > > strawman. My concern was "deception".
> >
> > Er, deception is generally considered unethical.
>
> Really? Then many political speeches, half of advertizing, 90% of
> dating is unethical. Should we line the bastards up and shoot them?

Speaking of straw men, you mean?

> > > To me, "decption" /slight of hand is more objective. It
happenend or
> > > it didn't. Ethics is in the eye of the beholder.

> > I think thats deceptive. You may
> > differ.I  may draw the line higher than you.

> > > Thats funny. "I think thats deceptive. You may differ.I
> > > may draw the line higher than you." is an invalid statement
> because [I am] just ignorant of how the publishing
> > >  industry works." ?????????
> >
> > Yes, indeedy.
>
> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. My values should be based on how [youpercieve]
> some industry works. Preious. Gosh, I could never make this stuff
> up.

As I said, that you can't understand why your
"values" in this situation don't make any sense
is a function of your ignorance of how the book
industry works.

<snip>

> > > Obviously the book sellers and authors whose book would have
> > > been on the best seller list had the chopra book campaign not
> > > used slight of hand practices.
> >
> > You're still not getting it (willfully at this point,
> > I suspect).  The booksellers, obviously, wouldn't
> > have lost any money at all; more likely they'd have
> > lost money *without* the Chopra campaign.
>
> UM Read what I wrote.
>
> > > "Obviously the book sellers and authors whose book WOULD have
> > > been on the best seller list had the chopra book campaign not
> > > used slight of hand practices."

You think there are book sellers who sell only one
book??

> You are saying that the publishers of the margianl book that got
> bumped because of Chopra manuveur mad more money?????? Holy Shit!

Oh, you meant *publishers*, not booksellers.  See,
those are two different categories in publishing
industry terminology.

Maybe that's why you're so confused.

I hate to tell you this, but publishers are in
competition with one another.  That's another aspect
of marketing, competition.  If you want a best-seller,
you have to spend money promoting it, or you have to
find another way to promote it, such as, for instance,
demonstrating that a substantial number of people were
so enthused about Chopra that they bought his book as
soon as it came out.