--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, foufou_fl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, foufou_fl <no_reply@>
wrote:

Time,

> > embraced

> > > Liberals love free markets.
> >

> > That's the classic definition of a "liberal" which is what many
who
> > are regarded as conservatives are today...and, by contrast, what
is
> > called a "liberal" today is one who does NOT love free markets
but,
> > rather, controls, such as what you go on to describe below...
> >

> > > They just don't go for controlled, rigged,
> > > manipulated ones -- or where  market costs go unaccounted for
or
> > > unpaid by market participants.
> > >
> While I understand your historical perspective, my take on many
> conservatives is that they seek and endorse corporate welfare,
large
> goverment programs, regulations from which they profit, gov't
imposed
> barriers to entry in markets they are entrenched, gov't sanction
> oligopolistic market structures,etc. Thats in contrast to older
style
> "real conservatives" who were great defenders of free markets -
Milton
> Friedman types.

Agreed...perhaps a better term for the "real conservatives" as you
call them is "libertarians" or "anarcho-capitalists" such as Lew
Rockwell.

As for those that are for those negative things you list above, I
wouldn't call them "capitalists" but "mercantilists".  Mercantilism
favors controls -- government or otherwise -- that serve to impede
and restrict a free market and maintain the status quo; that is, it
will tend to keep in place the "robber barons" as they were called
in the past.  In my opinion, these people are as bad as communists
and are NOT free marketers.

> Not to say that today's liberals are shining lights of integrity.
But
> most at least give lip service, and sometimes real support, to free
> markets and competiton.

I would love it if "liberals" would support free markets and
competition.  But I find that those who describe themselves as
liberals are for all sorts of government control and interference.
I always thought that liberals were more for controls than
conservatives but I would happily be proven wrong.

> For example, breaking up monopolistic power (unless its a natural
> monopoly, like utilities)

I don't know if "natural monopoly" is the right term for a utility.
Perhaps "regulated monopoly" is more apt.

I think a "natural monopoly" would be one that arrived at its
monopoly status without breaking the law.  Contrary to popular
belief, monopolies are NOT against the law...only monopolies that
arrived at that state illegally.

It's probably controversial to use this as an example but Microsoft
is, I would say, an example of a "natural monopoly" in that they
monopolize operating systems for PCs but arrived at that state
without breaking laws (contrary to what Janet Reno -- who did NOT
prevail in her fights against Microsoft -- said).