> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, MDixon6569@ wrote:
> >

> > In a message dated 2/25/06 8:12:07 P.M. Central Standard Time,
> > jstein@ writes:
> >
> > > Let  me  ask it this way: Do you think they wanted to
> > > rape Lot's  visitors because  they were horny?  In
> > > other words, was the  point sexual  gratification?
> > >
> > > Would it matter? Would the  act be justified if it were just a
> > > power trip? Or justified if  it were for shear  pleasure?
> >
> > Was anybody trying to *justify*  it??  Certainly not I.
> >
> > Can you answer the question,  please?
> >
> > The men and boys of Sodom wanted Lot to bring out his  guests so
> > they could "know" them. Sounds like horniness to me. But that
would
> > be  a guess on my part.
>
> It's important to guess right if you're going to claim
> the Bible considers homosexuality a sin based on what
> happened to the men of Sodom, isn't it?  (Which you did,
> several posts back, and as many religionists do.)
>
> In fact, there's a great deal of cultural, historical, and
> even textual evidence (from the story itself) that strongly
> suggests otherwise--i.e., that the men of Sodom weren't
> homosexual or even bisexual, and that the threatened rape
> was not a function of sexual desire on their part, but
> rather an attempt to intimidate Lot's visitors into
> leaving forthwith.  Anal rape of men by men was a common
> means of intimidation and humiliation in biblical times,
> and still is in some areas today (including in prisons).
>
> The real sin of Sodom was that it was *inhospitable to
> people in need*.  Again, historically and culturally, in a
> hostile desert environment, not to take in and care for
> strangers was considered a terrible breach, because it
> could put their lives at risk.

P.S.:  From Luke, Jesus to his disciples:

"But if you go into a town, and the people don't welcome you, then go
out into the streets of that town and say, 'Even the dirt (dust) from
your town that sticks to our feet we wipe off against you. But
remember that the kingdom of God is coming soon.' I tell you, on the
judgment day it will be worse for the people of that town than for
the people of Sodom."

It appears that as far as Jesus was concerned, the sin
of refusing hospitality was far worse than that of
homosexuality.