On Mar 2, 2006, at 1:39 PM, Rick Archer wrote:

but I have a hard time

believing that people like Eckhart Tolle and Bernadette Roberts are not

enlightened merely because they couldn't be oblivious to having a nail

driven through their foot or that they cast a shadow. I think he's raising

the bar too high. Seems to me that enlightenment is a matter of seeing

things clearly. It doesn't mean you're Superman.

Well let's not take these two items out of context. The nail story of Vimalananda refers to a person who claimed the ability to be in a certain type of samadhi. The fact that he did experience pain in that style of samadhi only means he was not really in that style of samadhi. It really says little about enlightenment per se.

The lack of casting of the shadow describes a certain aspect of unity, but is only really relevant in a style of enlightenment where the karmic supports for the physical body are transforming. And it's extremely rare, let alone witnessed. Nonetheless it's an occurrence I like to mention when britches get too many sizes too big.