On Mar 7, 2006, at 10:48 AM, Patrick Gillam wrote:

The premise of TM is that it enriches all areas of life

because it "enlivens" the substrate of life, pure

consciousness. We don't notice consciousness is

missing because it's flat and featureless. Maharishi

said this is the one experience that's missing; add

it, and you'll benefit. And that's pretty much what

most of us have experienced.

Peter Sutphen has posited that most TMers are

saturated with that flat awareness to the point

that they're ripe to bursting if given a practice

that "pulls it out," so to speak. The sidhis do

that to an extent, but many seem to profit from

something else.

If this premise is true, it would make sense that

anything we do after doing TM would bring

noticeable results. Those results might make

TM look bad, but remember that TM brings

flatness, not flash.

I've mentioned here before about how a TM

teacher at the Iowa City Center back in the

day, Susan Isaacs, once commented about

how flat everything is. There was a reason

for that.

As for non-TMers getting great results from

Vortex Healing, or whatever: if the notion of

collective consciousness is valid, and collective

consciousness is on the rise as even non-TMers

say it is, people who pursue spiritual and self-

development practices today will get better results

than those of us who learned back in the day.

I was always impressed by and envious of people

who'd learn TM from me in the '80s and early '90s,

the last times I taught, because their experiences

were so textbook clear. Those people really

demonstrated to me the validity of collective

consciousness theories.

In summary, I think it's great that all these practices

other than TM are generating such great results for

people. I'd like to get me some of those myself. But

I don't consider those results to negate the value of

TM. On the contrary, for the reasons above, those

great results could be construed as validating

Maharishi's premise that everything gets better with

TM, and that his programs contribute to a rise in

collective consciousness.

I've found it's helpful to get the big picture of what different styles of meditation do and then based on observing my own condition, use what works best over any period of time. I see meditation as basically of four different types:

--quiescence or transcendence style meditation, where one finds a "calm", quiescent or "transcendent" state--essentially a state of no gross conceptual thought. As you say--it's flat: non-ideation as an object.

--insight style meditation where the movement of thought and the experience of sensations are integrated with the calm, transcendent state. In some people this may be helpful at integrating "presence" during episodes where the mind in moving but it also helps one recognize stillness, the transcendent.

--unifying the previous two: a bridge to the non-dual.

--resting in the natural state: identifying the natural characteristics of consciousness as stillness, movement of thought: however consciousness is is just perfect.

Each one of these works better for different people at different times depending on how their condition is: how is the body? how is your relationship with thought? how are the subtle channels?, etc. In another sense, one could practice all four as one.