--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Michael Dean Goodman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> teacher.  This trust or surrender means that the individual has
> "gotten out of the way" to some extent, has dropped their ego-defend-
> ing patterns, has dropped their guard.
>
> Before trust, before devotion, the questions are not really from a
> surrendered place.  The questioner has not accepted the teacher as a
> teacher, the questioner has not accepted the limitations of his/her
> own relative ego/intellect, and therefore there is not that open flow
> of knowledge.  In the questions there may be some lack of respect for
> the teacher, some implication that the teacher is not competent, some
> belittling or depreciation of the teacher.  The teacher's heart is
> not opened by this, the recipient's guard is not put down, and the
> flow of Truth is not profound.
>
> We all know from everyday experience that questions (curiosity) gener-
> ally can have two very distinct purposes, even in mundane conversation:
>
> 1. To actually gain understanding, as sincere inquiries; to create
>     love/togetherness/unity by going deeper into knowledge; to open
>     the conduit for richer flow of knowledge.
>
> 2. To hide something behind the smokescreen of a question:
>     a. To hide our criticism/anger, to avoid making a directly critical
>        statement.
>     b. To hide that we're trying to control or dominate someone - to
>        hide that we're trying to manipulate someone or trying to engage
>        someone in a game.
>     c. To create doubt/division/fear.
>
>     In this case, questions are actually deceptions, a kind of passive/
>     aggressive behavior.  Rather than saying what we feel in direct
>     statements, we hide behind questions.  If challenged, if our true
>     but hidden feelings or motives are noticed, we can always say "I
>     didn't mean any criticism - I was just wondering...".  Often it is
>     apparent to observers, and to the recipient of the "question", that
>     we were NOT "just wondering".  The question has an obvious edge to
>     it, or it asks for an answer that we already know or could figure
>     out, or it is pretty blatantly a manipulation, or it just leaves
>     the recipient feeling odd, as though they've been tricked or mess-
>     ed with.
>
>     Although not so easy to say in words, the difference in how it feels
>     to receive these two different kinds of questions (inquiries) is
>     energetically obvious to most of us.  Sincere questions, without
>     hidden emotional agendas or motives, evoke an open flow of
knowledge,
>     evoke more unity and deepening, and don't leave a strange
aftertaste.

> The nature of a person's speech (and writing), especially their style
> of spiritual inquiry and discussion (as on this list), is very reveal-
> ing about the condition of their heart and mind.  They reveal so clear-
> ly whether they are swimming in the sea of doubt and cynicism and ego-
> defense, or whether they've found the life-preserver of surrender and

****
Also a complementary perspective to Goodman's view:

Bhagavad Gita, 4:34, Lord Krishna says:

"Through homage, repeated inquiry, and service, the men of knowledge
who have experienced Reality will teach you reality."

My dictionary translates homage to mean respect, reverence, and not
surrender. And I understand the quotation in a way that also the
teacher should show homage to the student, give his advice after
repeated inquiry, and do service to others.

Through wrongly understood devotion many difficult questions and
doubts can get suppressed and the inner process becomes partial or
distorted. Experience shows that the suppressed issues tend to get
acted out elsewhere in a less constructive ways in the student's and
teacher's lives. And I think the teacher should be tested, or at least
his behavior, and the structure of his organization observed very
accurately. And if doubts arise during this scrutinizing one should
feel free to express them. It is a good sign if you get honest
answers. Maybe your doubts were just misunderstandings.

I think a teacher should be accepted as he is, as one expression of
Truth (as we all are), who has some knowledge we don't.
And this doesn't mean he should be seen as a god, who doesn't make
mistakes. Although I think that also God makes mistakes and learns
through and from them. It is vitally important to respect someone one
has accepted as one's teacher. But it is as important that the teacher
respects the student as one embodiment of truth and as such he is
accepted by the teacher as he is.

I'm a Freemason. When we initiate a new apprentice, it means that
after strict scrutiny we have fully accepted him/her as he/she is, and
judged him/her capable of becoming a Master Mason. The time as an
apprentice means for the student learning to accept him/herself as
he/she is through observing that he/she is fully accepted by us.
Simultaneously his/her role is to with open mind and heart to observe
the functioning of the lodge. He/she has no right to speak in the
lodge. That way negative critical attitude towards something new you
know very little about is discouraged. Later as Master Masons we can
freely discuss any problems we perceive in the functioning of our
organization.

One can work through and heal one's problems and weaknesses only after
one has recognized them and fully accepted them. Therefore it is
important that the teacher accepts the student fully as he is with all
his faults. And the teacher who has not accepted his own weaknesses
cannot do this. But then again a teacher who has accepted himself with
his weaknesses and defects usually doesn't need to hide them from
others and create himself a facade (dream) of being perfect. A guru,
who has not realized this, expects his students to see him as perfect,
because he is trying in that way to make his dream of being perfect to
be true.

Irmeli