> > > That's a stretch. Many translations of the First
> > > Noble Truth have it as "Life is suffering," but
> > > that's not related in any way to God, since they
> > > don't believe in one.
> >
> > To say "life is suffering" implies there is something--
> > a condition or state--that is *not* suffering.
> >
> > If suffering is said to be a lack, there is something--
> > a condition or state--in which nothing is lacking.
> >
> > What is it?
>
> ++ State of mind?

In a way. If (as the Four Noble Truths state) the
cause of suffering is attachment to desire/aversion,
then living in a state of mind that is *not* attached
to achieving the fruits of desire or avoiding the
things one is averse to is a way beyond suffering.

The "input" to life doesn't change, only one's
ability to greet it with equanimity. Try to force
the square peg of that input into the round hole of
one's desires, and you get suffering. Treat it as
a square peg and be neither attached nor averse,
no suffering.

Nothing to "achieve," no "obstacles" to remove from
the "path" to non-suffering, nowhere to "go." Same
old same old...just life dealt with as What Is, not
What You'd Like Life To Be.

Just for fun, compare and contrast this to MMY's
latest U.N. rap, in which he once again presents his
S-V theories and suggests that the problems of the
world can't be solved unless one starts over with
all-new buildings. In the Buddhist view, this
approach to resolving suffering can never work
because it is based upon trying to change the input
of life to avoid suffering, rather than change the
inner being's ability to deals with the input with-
out attachment.

In the Buddhist view, the richest, most successful
person in the world, living in a perfectly-aligned
S-V house but still attached to his desires, will
be lost in suffering. Whereas the poor person who
lives in a cardboard box, if he is not attached to
his desires, is beyond suffering.