> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
> wrote:
<snip>
> > > The person who is convinced that there is something
> > > that 'prevents' their enlightenment -- whether
> > > they consider that something to be ego, or intel-
> > > lect, or stress, or whatever -- is attempting
> > > to (in Vaj's terms) "patch" the "What is" of the
> > > universe and transform it into the "What I'd like
> > > it to be" of the professional sufferer. It's the
> > > desire/aversion cycle as path -- I "should" come
> > > back to the mantra; I "should not" trusts my ego/
> > > self/intellect.
> > >
> > > The "What is" of life is *all you need* to realize
> > > enlightenment.
> >
> > But this itself is the realization.  Or to put it
> > another way, in enlightenment one has realized
> > that the "What is" of life is all one needs.
> >
> > Prior to enlightenment, one does not have this
> > realization.  So there is still something to be
> > achieved.
>
> The realization is that nothing ever had to
> be achieved.

Right, that's what I just said.  That's the realization
one needs to achieve.

> The realization is that there was
> never a time when enlightenment was not present,
> merely a time when one did not realize it was
> present.

Right, that's the realization one needs to achieve,
as I just said.

 The glasses you have been searching for
> have always been on your nose, but the person
> wearing the glasses has been so caught up in
> searching for them and so attached to being a
> perpetual searcher that she never noticed. :-)

Yup, being caught up and searching and attached
is what gets in the way of the realization that
there is nothing to be achieved.  Those are the--

> > > parts of one's self one has to reject or not
> > > trust or get "beyond" to realize enlightenment

--just as you so aptly put it.

> > The realization that there was nothing to be
> > achieved *is the achievement*.
>
> There is no achievement because there was never
> any need for anything to be achieved.

Except the realization that there was never any
need for anything to be achieved.

 Enlight-
> enment was always present. The glasses have
> always been on your nose...is noticing them
> there that big an "achievement?"

Seems to make the difference, don't it?

> > > Nothing needs to be achieved, nothing
> > > removed. Nothing is an 'obstacle' to enlightenment.
> > > The ego is enlightenment, the intellect is enlighten-
> > > ment, the 'good' questions of the bhakti are enlight-
> > > enment and the 'bad' questions of the cynic are
> > > enlightenment. Only enlightenment is.
> >
> > If there was nothing to be achieved, we would all
> > be born with this realization.
>
> Says the person who desperately wants to keep
> searching for her glasses, while wearing them. :-)
>
> > In other words, to tell a person who has not had
> > this realization that there is nothing for him or
> > her to achieve is a category mistake, spoken from
> > the perspective of one who has already achieved
> > the realization.
>
> Or the truth, spoken from the perspective of someone
> talking to a person with glasses firmly on nose who
> is whining about them being lost.  :-)

Another way of saying what I just said, but nastily.

See, you can't avoid the "achievement" aspect.  All
you can do is push it back a level.  This kind of
category mistake always results in an infinite
regress, something you've never understood.

But then, if you did understand, you wouldn't have
the opportunity to express scorn and contempt for
those who haven't yet achieved the realization, and
that's much more important to you than intellectual
honesty.