<shempmcgurk@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > "...repeated his opposition to homosexuality..."
> > >
> > > I find this comment interesting because his most famous
> follower,
> > > Richard Gere, is an outspoken advocate for gay rights.
> >
> > Did the Dalai Lama say he opposed equal rights for gays?
>
> Actually, all I could find in the article on the subject was just
> those five words I quoted above.
>
> I would assume that he wasn't opposed to equal rights for gays
> (Maybe he's along the lines of the Christian fundamentalist "love
> the sinner but hate the sin", I don't know).

But they're opposed to equal rights for gays.

  But it would be
> interesting to see what it is about homosexuality that he opposes.
>
> What I'm interested in is the dynamic between individual beliefs --
> such as those held by Gere as a practising Buddhist and "follower"
> of the Dalai Lama -- and those held by the leader of the religion.

Yes, that would be interesting to know more about.

My *guess* would be that the Dalai Lama is much more
strongly opposed to intolerance than he is to
homosexuality, and that his gay followers understand
this and don't feel threatened by his views about
homosexuality any more than he feels threatened by
them.