Richard J. Williams wrote:

>markmeredith wrote:
>

>>Most every Indian spiritual group I've investigated uses some
>>of the bija mantras - not necessarily in an eye-closed effortless
>>meditation practice, but they seem to be very commonly known.
>>

>So, it's a common practice all over India - Mr. Perino was mistaken.
>

>>As discussed here recently, early TMers report they weren't given
>>bij mantras, but "Ram".
>>

>Maybe so, but I'm TM meditator #212 in the USA, according to Beaulah
>Smith, and I never got a 'Ram' bija mantra. From what I've read, the
>very first TM meditator in India, a certain Mr. Raya, recieved the
>same bija I recieved in 1965, that would be ten years after the
>founding of the SRM by Marshy.

It is alleged that Maharishi when he was first teaching used the "Ram"
mantra.   Bhagavan Das in his book "It's Here Now (Are You?)" claims he
was given the Ram mantra by Maharishi when he met shortly after arriving
in India.  Bhagavan Das was the "young American" in India that Ram Das
wrote about in "Be Here Now."  "Ram" is considered a shanti mantra.  So
by the time you learned the techniques may well have changed as MMY
probably felt he needed a system for his teachers.