> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "wayback71" <wayback71@>
> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <no_reply@> wrote:
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "wayback71" <wayback71@>
> > > wrote:
> > I do think things here in the unviverse, including me,
> > run on autopilot and that the sense that I have free
> > will is an illusion.
>
> That's what I got from what you said. No *problem*
> with this, by the way...it's just that I don't
> happen to believe that myself.
>
> > This is based on  TM meditation - related experiences I
> > have had, so I feel pretty convinced of this (while also
> > recognizing that first, I probably have only experienced
> > a tiny piece of the BIG picture, and second, the meditation
> > technique that gives rise to this may do just that by
> > changing the brain in specific ways related to the
> > technique, but that is another discussion) Nevertheless,
> > since most of the time I have the sensation/illusion that
> > I am controlling my life, I have no choice but to keep on
> > exerting my will and seeking!
>
> All I'm talking about is continuing to do so *after*
> you die, as you transit from this life to the next.
>
> > And if in the midst of this world I DO have some
> > free will, I am betting it has to do with evolution and
> > related choices.
>
> Well, I'd be more willing to say that it was because
> free will is the essential nature of the universe.
> But it's Ok to disagree on this, of course.  :-)
>
> > So, I am curious. Is there some reading you could
> > recommend?   Can't get to Dharamsala in person for at
> > least a few years!
>
> Me, either.  Get to Dharamsala, that is.  I'm not even
> sure I'd want to go.
>
> I think that the book I recommended to Shemp a couple
> of posts ago is pretty good.  "The Tibetan Book of
> Living and Dying."  I think that's a very well-written
> overview of the strange way that Tibetans look at death,
> dying and the reincarnation process.
>
> Caveat:  I do NOT know that any of this shit is true.
> It *feels* true to me, based on my own subjective
> experiences of having remembered the process of dying
> and being reborn when working with a couple of Phowa
> teachers.  But that might just be an illusion.  In
> other words, your mileage may vary.

Barry, turns out I have that very book on my bedside table, got it in December
and I have
been eyeing it ever since while I indulge in novels (Embers by Marai and
Saturday by
McEwan are good).  The whole death and dying thing looks awfully complicated.
Regarding the idea of free will, I would agree with you entirely except for
experiences I
have had (and sadly have not had iin quite some time).  The few experiences I
have had,
and I know many many others have too and have written books about etc etc, are
unmistakable.  Life all happens, just happens and unfolds - kind of like a
plant grows
without any planning, so does a human act and think and feel.  My understanding
is that
even brain research is beginning to suggest that our volitional actions
actually got
triggered before we have had time to feel or ponder or choose.  This is all
irrelevant until
the experience occurs, but it is a real relief to experience, and  the shock of
all shocks, let
me tell you.  Perhaps just a distorted brain state, although I don't think so.
But I agree with
you that this appears to be a fundamental difference between Bhuddists and
Hindus and
goes beyond just using different words. I am all in favor of Bhuddism and all
the
compassion and good works and honesty that it encourages.  I am a Hindu type,
tho.