> No, just an assumption that people decide to do things
> because they hear something about other people doing
> things. It's called "advertising," though it doesn't
> need to be organized by the people with the "product."

You're in software, Lawson, so here's a metaphor
that you should be able to grasp as to why TM and
the TM organization are no longer even considered
by most people to even be *players* in the world
of meditation and self discovery.

A company called VisiCorp invented the spreadsheet
and marketed it. Their product -- VisiCalc -- basically
created the entire PC revolution; people used to walk
into the early computer stores saying, "I want a VisiCalc."
The clerks would say, "No, what you want is a computer,
on which you can run VisiCalc."  And the customer would
say, "Whatever.  Just sell me a VisiCalc."

They had the market pretty much cornered, just like the
TMO did with meditation in the early days.  For a while
there, back in the late 60's and most of the 70s, if
you thought meditation, you thought Transcendental
Meditation.  TM had become the VisiCalc of meditation.

And then, on the VisiCorp side, the founders of the
company got greedy and complacent and lost touch with
their customer base.  They doubled and tripled the price
of their product without adding any new features, and
reduced the quality of their after-sale customer service.
Along came Lotus, and within a year or two VisiCorp was
bankrupt, no longer even a player in the market.

(As an aside, since I was there for this particular
debacle, when VisiCorp went belly up, Ashton-Tate did
the stupidest thing ever done in the history of business
and hired VisiCorp's whole upper management team to
replace president George Tate, who had thoughtlessly
died on them.  Within a year and a half, the geniuses
who had driven VisiCorp into bankruptcy had driven
Ashton-Tate into bankruptcy, too.)

(As another aside, after Lotus -- started by a TMer --
stole the entire spreadsheet market away from VisiCorp,
*it* got lazy and complacent and out of touch with its
customer base and lost the entire market to Microsoft
and Excel, as well.)

Anyway, I think that the equivalence of VisiCorp and
the TM organization is apt.  Both had the market
*cornered*, man.  They were home free, if they had
only done what was necessary to keep that market share.
But they both pissed away any reputation and any
allegiance they ever had, and both are considered
jokes at this point by the other players in their
respective markets.

There is a lesson to be learned in this comparison, IMO,
but it *wasn't* learned, and now it's too late.  In the
modern world of meditation and self discovery, the TMO
is as irrelevant as VisiCorp is to the modern software
industry.