> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajranatha@> wrote:

> > > TM *can* do this. Is this the goal of this style of
> > > meditation, or is it merely a description of an
> > > idealized outcome?
> >
> > It's just one of the styles of shamatha, that's all--the
> > beginning part.
> >
> > Don't get so stuck in your paradigm.
>
> Good advice, but do you honestly think it's possible?
>
> From my point of view, Lawson represents an almost-
> perfect example of the "TM paradigm," which is based on
> the assumption that the TM view of things and descrip-
> tion of things is correct, and that any view or description
> that differs from that is by definition incorrect.

Well of course. However, I'm well aware that my paradigm may be flawed,
incorrect and/or
incomplete. It's entirely possible that the EEG coherence detected in TMers
reporting
witnessing isn't an important component of the witnessing state, so the fact
that
practitioners of some other tradition don't show this means nothing save that
the TM
researchers are looking at the wrong stuff. As you point out, perhaps there is
NO WAY of
truely looking at this stuff from a scientific point of view.

> In my opinion that's really how TMers are taught to
> think, both about the mechanics of meditation and about
> the scientific measurements thereof. Being "stuck in their
> paradigm" is perceived as a *good* thing and is rewarded
> in the TMO by "strokes."

Unlike those who are involved in some other paradigm, including the "there's no
paradigm" paradigm...

> How likely is it that, after decades of this kind of
> reinforcement, someone is open to the possibility of
> other paradigms being valid?

Shrug.