--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anony_sleuth_ff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam" <jpgillam@>
> wrote:
> >

> > I couldn't watch Colbert's presentation because nobody
> > was laughing.
>
> Perhaps an indication of the degree that humor (and truth) are
> social contsructs. We find something more funny if others are
> laughing, less funny if they are not.

Don't know if this was the case with Patrick, but I
find it horrendously uncomfortable to watch a comic
who is bombing with his live audience, even if I
find him hilarious myself.  I squirm in empathetic
embarrassment, thinking how the comic must feel.

In Colbert's case, though, it didn't bother me because
I had the distinct sense it didn't bother *him* in the
least.  (Maybe it did, but he didn't show it that I
could see; it didn't seem to throw off his timing at
all.)

> I found the lack of audience laughter (more an artifact of camera
> angles than actual audience reactions -- those attending said there
> was laughter)

Actually most of the reports I've read from folks who
were there confirm that the laughter and applause were
quite sparse, especially compared to the reaction to
Bush's bit with the impersonator, which engendered
great hilarity.

discomforting from the apparent tension in the room, but
> that did not take away from Colbert's biting humor. I thought for
the
> most part he was quite funny -- excepting the skit -- which may have
> been a longer, deeper rip that may hold up with later viewings.
> Reading the transcript reinforces that he was funny, IMO.
>
> I wonder for those that did not find him funny, are you familiar
with
> his work? Or was this a (near) first time view? I think he may be an
> aquired taste. The first few times I watched him, I thought he was a
> bit of a smartalec. Now I get more of what he is doing and more
> appreciate his subtle but biting satire.

I've never been taken with his show, but the format
is very different, much looser, and not as coherent
or pointed for that reason.  The dinner routine was
more like standup, extremely tight and finely honed.
For me, he's funnier that way.