> --- In
> FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "tomandcindytraynoratfairfieldlis"
> <tomandcindytraynoratfairfieldlist@> wrote:
> >
> > You are very right Judy in that Yes can not be intentional.
>
> Coming from a Buddhist perspective, in which intent
> and focus are very *much* a part of the realization
> process, I'd have to disagree with you, Tom.
>
> I think that the issue that some people are reacting
> to in my little cafe story is that it pushes their
> *religious* buttons, the ones they don't like
> to admit they have. They have been convinced, after
> decades of indoctrination by the TM movement and
> its Hindu underpinnings, that passivity is the *only*
> way to go in the quest for enlightenment. Don't ever
> work at anything because that would be "straining"
> or "effort" or the imposition of will, and thus
> an aspect of ego. So the "proper" attitude towards
> enlightenment is to just sit around and wait for it
> to happen on its own.
>
> And wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait.

<snippage grande>

I had a similar thought when I read what Tom had written, not
because he is advocating passivity, he wouldn't be in his present
state if that were so, but rather because intention IS a critical
part of gaining realization-liberation-enlightenment. I liked what
Alex said also of Tom saying that we must change boats in midstream
to gain our Selves, only the boat we step into is invisible(!).

So, once again, the paradox confronts us, to give ourselves over to
intention, and surrender, both simultaneously. This is where faith
and discrimination come in.

I wholeheartedly agree with carrying forth our intention in order to
reach the ultimate Goal. Otherwise how can exhaustion of the will
occur, paving the way for true and final acceptance of our Selves,
our true nature?

Your strong advocacy for your position, to the exclusion of the
other is a good thing, using FFL to work out the balance of the
intellect. Keep it up!