> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, MDixon6569@ wrote:
> > >

> > > In a message dated 5/4/06 3:49:36 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> > > jstein@ writes:
> > >
> > > This guy  is  too
> > >
> > > There  are folks at least as dangerous walking around
> > > free as a bird.  We  won't know how dangerous they
> > > are until they actually *do*  something.
> > >
> > > He needs to rot in his
> > >
> > > Oh, nonsense.  Long prison terms don't deter  determined
> > > terrorists.  What you want is  *vengeance*.
> > >

> > > The difference is, this guy has proven beyond a shadow of a
> doubt
> > how
> > > dangerous he is and no amount of psychiatric treatment or no
> number
> > of
> > > psychiatrists vouching for him can guarantee he wont do it
> again.
> > He had a  chance to live
> > > in society and he blew it, big time. Nobody owes him anything,
> and
> > needs to
> > > go to his grave understanding  that.
> >
> > I'm *in favor* of life without parole for him, given
> > the inadequacy of our psychiatric treatment at
> > rehabilitating folks of his type.  But you're kidding
> > yourself if you think he's ever going to understand
> > what you want him to understand.  More than likely,
> > being in prison will make him even angrier and more
> > convinced than ever that he's the righteous one.
> >
> > You want him to *suffer*, as your earlier response
> > made clear.  But that's just a need for vengeance
> > on your part.  You really ought to look at your
> > need to feel avenged.  It's not going to bring
> > anybody back, and it's certainly not going to do
> > *you* any good.
>
> Some people feel good from it...why deny them?

Why deny them the right to lynch him?  I'm sure
some people would really enjoy tearing him into
little tiny pieces.

What you don't seem to realize is that's what
motivates the *terrorists*.  Moussaoui has said
he wanted to kill Americans because America had
killed Muslims.  Revenge only motivates more
revenge.  It's a vicious circle.

  I'm not saying
> that's the most enlightened approach but, hey, better that
the "mob"
> gets its jollies than being frustrated at NOT seeing horrible
people
> get what they deserve.

No, better they learn not to feel frustrated.
Better they learn to feel compassion for people
who are driven by such emotions to kill other
people.  Feel compassion for them, and lock them
up so they can't fulfill their compulsions.