--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, MDixon6569@ wrote:
> >

> > In a message dated 5/26/06 1:33:29 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> > shempmcgurk@ writes:
> >
> > But as  an outsider who came to the U.S. I have noticed -- even
> > before I emigrated  here when I made numerous visits to the U.S.
> > throughout my life, like most  Canadians -- regional bigotry
> against
> > the South from  Northerners.
> >
> > Not only have I noticed this in personal interactions but  it is
> > really prevalent on TV.
> >
> > Does anyone from the South on this  forum feel the same way?  Or
> am I
> > the only one who has noticed  this?
> >

> > We see it all the time.
> >

> Does it piss you off?
>
> 99% of this regional bigotry I see going from North to South but
> hardly ever from South to North...

         With the mass media going to the extreme to avoid offending anyone in the past
half-century,  (genereally, a good goal, I think, for the overall culture to aim to attain) it is
amazing to me the degree of residual, blatant bias of Northerners against Southeners.

         The character of the best Northerners barely approximates the character of mediocre
Southerners.   Some of the most considerate,  thoughtful, and hopeful people on Earth are
from Mississippi.
         I am a native Louisianian, with ancestors there several hundred years in the past.  I
was disappointed to  hear knee-jerk racist expressions from southern whites about the
blacks who were stranded by Katrina floodwaters in New Orleans.  Deeply engrained
racism remains in the character of Southerners, and casts an ugly scar on what would be a
beautiful face of Southerners, were it not for racism..  What a shame....