> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson" <nelsonriddle2001@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "hyperbolicgeometry"
> > <hyperbolicgeometry@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Religion & Paranormal
> > > The Transcendental Temptation: A Critique of Religion and the
> > > Paranormal
> > > by Paul Kurtz. Published by Prometheus Books.
> > > Guide Rating -
> > >
> > >+++ Once upon a time, the world was flat.
> >      With the passing of time and more expierience gained, it has
> > become round.
> >      This author lacks expierience with which the paranormal becomes
> > normal.
>
> Indeed.  However...
>
> >      Isn't it generally agreed that people are using ten to fifteen
> > percent of their brain but now we have someone saying that this or
> > that expierience is not possible.
>
> ...to the extent that this is "generally agreed," it's
> agreed on the basis of a misunderstanding of the findings
> of early EEG research.  See this article from Scientific
> American:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4pp8h
>
> It's one thing to speculate that we use only 10 percent
> of the brain's *potential* (although it's hard to say
> how one would arrive at a specific percentage); but the
> notion that we use only 10 percent of the brain itself
> is simply inaccurate.
>
> <snip>

+++ Interesting article.  Maybe integrated hemisphere functioning
would be the better term.
     I was thinking of Mr. Peake (sp) (the Rain man) who still
continues to absorb knowledge and be able to recall it.
     His ability to memorize large numbers of books would indicate
some brain function that is not generaly in use by the average person.
     I have some problem remembering more than a few phone numbers and
this guy looks like he has more than a terrabite memory.
     I definitely don't have ten percent of this kind of memory- maybe
I am getting bit of "old timers syndrome"  N.