I found this entire thread very interesting.Thanks for all of it.  I have
similar (not so erudite
from my side) conversations with a close friend who is 70 and an
engineer/scientist.  He is
very anti-religion, never had a "mystical experience" in his life,but is
intrigued by the idea,
altho I think a bit nervous about how he would interpret it if it did happen.
MOre than
anything, he wishes he could live another 200 years and see what science comes
up with
about the human brain.  From a "religious" or meditaion perspective, it seems
that all of
life, for everyone, involves magical thinking of one sort or another.  Everyone
 constructs
their own reality all day long, based on all sorts of variables.  The ultimate
delusion, of
course, being identification of the Self with the body and mind. I look forward
to what
science finds,because I have in the last 10 years doubted at times whether
mystical
experiences mean anything more than a different style of brain function. It
comforts me
think that it does.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/UlWolB/TM