Title: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: Electronic mantra chanting machine
on 6/21/06 6:36 PM, sparaig at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I think it is something MMY made up to separate TM from other
> teachings.  I'd love someone to prove me wrong though by pointing to
> some ancient text that says otherwise.  However every Indian I've ever
> mentioned the OM thing to looked incredulous at me with wide eyes that
> anyone would teach mantras without OM.
>
> <snip>

Could swear that people here have quoted Gurudev saying something about this and MMY
has always made it clear that it IS controversial.

Yes. Maharishi used to tell a story about a woman who complained to Guru Dev that since she had taken up spiritual pursuits everything had fallen away from her. Her husband had died, she had lost her money, etc. He inquired and discovered she had been using a mantra with OM in it – i.e., a recluse mantra. Maharishi always said that recluse mantras had OM in them; householder mantras did not. __._,_.___