I must weigh in on the side of Now being better...because it is Now.

Also the fact that Barry can ask 1000+ people this question
simultaneously without thinking twice about it, is a huge
transformation from the Big Three TV channels, a local newspaper and
wired phone service we had in the 70's.

I often think that these days seem worse to many of us simply because
there are no more closed doors to what we can be aware of, on a
social, regional, national, and global basis.

Personally I like it much much better this way- more to deal with,
but also a greater possiblity that we can tackle larger issues more
successfully and collaboratively. Of course there has been the ability
for those in power to use these same tools to entrench and consolidate
their power. But they can't get away with as much for as long as they
used to. Through the communications revolution, we are all being
transformed into living and thinking globally, and I love it!