--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- authfriend wrote:
> >
> > I wonder how often that kind of conundrum--not just
> > about sex but any "bad" habit or behavior--masters
> > have to deal with, pretending they don't indulge in
> > that habit or behavior because they perceive
> > (accurately or not) that to do otherwise would confuse
> > their followers and get in the way of their sadhana.
>
> Maybe the solution would be for the master to
> promote his or her sadhana as a single element one
> adds to one's daily routine, rather than insisting
> students give up this behavior or adopt that one.
>
> Teaching, say, a meditation technique alone,
> without all the concomitant lifestyle stuff -
> diets, sexual protocols and such - would free
> the master from having to exemplify the ideal
> lifestyle.
>
> But what master has ever taken such a tack?
> It would be bold indeed.

MMY did at first, then he changed his mind.

But he was talking to teachers here, no?  Not the
rank and file.  The most devoted followers are always
going to try to emulate the master every way they can,
no matter what the master says or doesn't say.  And
they're all going to have some idea of what
constitutes "good" behavior.  I think to some extent
the conundrum is unavoidable.