On Jul 4, 2006, at 5:06 PM, new.morning wrote:

8.  And of course the root of the problem *is* overpopulation.

I was struck when reading some time ago about population estimates of

ancient cultures. Vedic India was about 100,000. No wonder it was a

golden age!

Peter Russell in his "Global Brain" hypothesized that what would happen would be a leap to global collective consciousness when humanity reached a population of about 10 billion, as this would coincide with increasing interest in mediation and higher states of consciousness by greater and greater numbers of humanity.

Actually, the more educated, creative, spiritual people interacting,

the better. A larger network. Its when consumption (attachments) are

of a densely material nature that the carrying capacity of the region

/ earth is exceeded that there is a problem.

Or we simply aren't sharing with Gaia, that is, our habits aren't "renewable". Think of current architecural habits and the pollution and waste they create on a massive scale. Then think of what a home made of wood and completely renewable materials would do across time. It would simply return to the soil! That's also the quiet lesson of tantric and pre-Vedic India. It was also recyclable.

But we live in an era of "why recycle when the rapture is near" (to paraphrase an article in the latest WIE).

From that sick POV global warming is good: it's bringing on the apocalypse. It also has brought the Apocalypse of St. John of Patmos (Revelations) to the top of my "most dangerous books in the world" list.

People living in lower density settings, gardening for exercise

(instead of gym) and a majority of nutritious (vs sensory /

entertainment) food, and bio-fuels, localized solar and wind

generation, walking, cycling, motorscooting on bio fuels (at 100+ mpg)

for longer hauls, telecommuting with multiple hi-def monitors for more

in-your-face interaction from home than in the office, entertainiment

and consumption based on information packets, inquiry and creativity

-- not steel and oil, etc. could enable current population levels at a

viable earth carry capacity.

I like what Bruce Cockburn said when he sang: "I believe it's a sin to try and make things last forever." This is at once both very Christian and very Buddhist. Think of all the things which will plague the future of sentience because of our need to create things that "last forever": plastics, steel buildings, etc. Our lack of understanding of "impermanence" is a major human disease. Yet we're brainwashed to believe it's good.

Nothing lasts forever. No, not even "God".

But even God recycles...