--- Rick Archer wrote:

> Partly, it¹s an Indian cultural thing. Indians hate to say no. So they say
> yes even when they mean no. MMY often did this. He would say yes to someone
> then a few minutes later tell his secretary to tell the person no.

I recall a tape on my teacher training course in which
MMY talked about culturing God Consciousness via
devotion. He talked about the role of marriage in
helping that process along. In the course of his
discourse, he said to never say no to your spouse.
He said to always say yes, even if you have to say
no later. That advice struck me as troublesome
even before I learned the importance of being
impeccable with one's word. I felt that changing
one's mind would present even greater problems,
and I still feel so today. But it makes sense in the
cultural context described above.

The Western variation seems to be to say "yes"
when one definitely means yes, and "maybe"
when one would rather not say yes.