> authfriend wrote:
> >--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@> wrote:
> ><snip>
> >
> >>Wrong.  Thread hijacking is considered bad netiquette and you'll
> >>get bashed for it on other lists.   I've been a programmer for
> >>over
> >>20 years and have been using email and online clients for that
> >>long.  I think I might know a little about how these things work.
> >
> >I'm not a programmer, but I've been participating
> >in electronic forums, via BBSs, email, newsgroups,
> >and on the Web for over 20 years, and I've never
> >heard the term "thread hijacking" except from
> >you.  I have no idea what it's supposed to mean.
>
> Here's more on the subject:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_Hijacking

I don't really give a shit about threading, period,
since I've discovered that it's more fun for me to
read forums such as this one in strict chronological
order than it is to read them 'threaded.'

But, that said, doesn't the following definition
from Wikipedia...

@   Thread hijacking is the act of taking a forum
@   discussion thread off topic by discussing a
@   subject entirely unrelated to the subject at hand.
@
@   While this can be an intentional act of trolling,
@   it is often accidental - caused by other participants
@   in the discussion responding to a throwaway remark,
@   taking the thread off at a tangent to the original
@   subject matter. The results, whilst often humourous,
@   often extract a feeling of resentment from the author
@   of the post.

...sound a lot like EGO to you?  :-)

I mean, somebody introduces a concept and then gets
uptight when someone takes the concept off in directions
he or she didn't intend? I'm picturing Aretha Franklin
singing, A  T  T  A  C  H  M  E  N  T.

:-)

What you're complaining about with Thunderbird, by the
way, is a limitation of ITS software. It was designed
with certain protocols in mind, as if they were standards.
They weren't.