> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@> wrote:
> > authfriend wrote:
> > >--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@> wrote:
> > ><snip>

> > >I'm not a programmer, but I've been participating
> > >in electronic forums, via BBSs, email, newsgroups,
> > >and on the Web for over 20 years, and I've never
> > >heard the term "thread hijacking" except from
> > >you.  I have no idea what it's supposed to mean.
> >
> > Here's more on the subject:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_Hijacking
>
> I don't really give a shit about threading, period,
> since I've discovered that it's more fun for me to
> read forums such as this one in strict chronological
> order than it is to read them 'threaded.'

That's what I've always done (starting from my BBSing
days, when there were no such things as threads
anyway).

It *is* useful to be able to trace a thread back,
though, on occasion, so I'm all for threading, but
in a "tree" structure where the subthreads branch
off but you can trace them back to the main thread.

> But, that said, doesn't the following definition
> from Wikipedia...
>
> @   Thread hijacking is the act of taking a forum
> @   discussion thread off topic by discussing a
> @   subject entirely unrelated to the subject at hand.
> @
> @   While this can be an intentional act of trolling,
> @   it is often accidental - caused by other participants
> @   in the discussion responding to a throwaway remark,
> @   taking the thread off at a tangent to the original
> @   subject matter. The results, whilst often humourous,
> @   often extract a feeling of resentment from the author
> @   of the post.
>
> ...sound a lot like EGO to you?  :-)

I agree with Barry here.  Half the fun of these
discussions is the odd directions they take.
Sometimes a subthread that takes a small piece of
the original discussion off on a tangent will turn
out to be much more fascinating than the parent
thread.

Oh, now those are terms I'm familiar with--"parent"
and "child" threads.  That refers back to the "tree"
structure--the "parent" is the trunk and the "children"
are the branches.

> I mean, somebody introduces a concept and then gets
> uptight when someone takes the concept off in directions
> he or she didn't intend? I'm picturing Aretha Franklin
> singing, A  T  T  A  C  H  M  E  N  T.
>
> :-)
>
> What you're complaining about with Thunderbird, by the
> way, is a limitation of ITS software. It was designed
> with certain protocols in mind, as if they were standards.
> They weren't.

I think that's correct.