Peter,

If the stories on her Website are accurate, her confusion doesn't
surprise me.  I found her descent into madness chronicled on her site
completely riveting.   Of course I understand that others may see the
divine hand at work instead of a mental illness.  Funny to think how
she would have been treated in this culture with her symptoms.   She
may have sustained neurological damage early on if this story is true
from her site:

"A daughter earlier born to Mokhshadasundari died prematurely. With
that trag­edy in mind Mokhshada [Grandma (Didima) to the devotees]
took the newborn MA before a Tulsi sap­ling installed in the house in
the morning and rolled the infant over and over on the ground. The
ritual was repeated every day for eighteen months. When MA grew up,
she did it all by herself'- an infant god frolicking in front of her
other self, symbolised by the Tulsi."

But with this experience she would be off to a facility for sure:

"1926
Thus passed the days at Shahbag.
She would start a job, say, the offering of the cooked food to the
deity and would stop midway becoming as still as a stone. This might
happen during the household work or cooking, regardless of the heat
from the blazing oven scorching her body. She would lie prostrate for
hours unmindful of the rows of ants biting into her flesh. She would
walk around at night through bushes and boughs unafraid of snakes or
reptiles. Yet, her face would glow with a smile, her body with radi­ance."

The site is full of this kind of story interpreted through the rosy
glasses of her divine nature.  Her experiences remind me of the three
people I knew personally at MIU who became afflicted with
Schizophrenia. (The college age group is particularly vulnerable to
this disease isn't it?)  One was taken over by "divine rapture" and
refused to leave his room for days.  Fortunately for him he was taken
for treatment instead of being worshiped.  Under the grip of this
illness my friends took on an appearance of divine ecstasy or extreme
pain and their eyes gleamed with intensity  It was completely
unnerving to be in their presence, but with the right mindset and
belief system I can see how  people could respond differently.

Would Ma have been better off on some psych drug?  That is a tough one
isn't it?  One friend whose progress I tracked through the years was
constantly going off his meds because the sensations of the illness
were so compelling for him.  It is tough to give up divine rapture for
functionality in daily life.  The fact that he was tormented by his
illness was also clear.  There was no reasonable position that would
allow him to just stay off the drugs.  What a shitty dilemma life
handed him and his poor family.  Interpreting Ma's inability to even
feed herself at times as "divine forgetfulness" is kind of a charming
alternative to seeing her condition clinically.  Or maybe autism was
at play?  Since I am giving a medical diagnosis on the basis of
stories, what that hell, I might as well throw that one in also!  Who
knows.  Instead of wandering the streets as she might have ended up
here, she had a rich full life with people catering to her every whim.
This is a fascinating life viewed from any perspective isn't it?