--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- curtisdeltablues wrote:
> >
> > I agree with your point that blending crazy
> > beliefs and explosives takes the whole discussion out of the
> > theoretical and into the world of "holy shit!
> >
> > --- Dave" <bikemaster@> wrote:
> > >
> > > with people strapping on bombs and blowing
> > > themselves up in coffee houses because they believe that 70
virgins
> > > will greet them in paradise, it hits a lot closer to home.
>
> A short time before 9/11/2001, I read or heard
> somewhere that terrorism arises from a deep sense
> of hopelessness and powerlessness. But I'm surprised
> that with all my reading, I haven't run across any kind
> of compelling discourse as to why terrorists kill civilians
> and themselves. Has anybody run across a cogent
> essay somewhere that has some insight into terrorism?
> Or do you have some insights yourself? Anyone. Thanks.

I don't think you are giving the hopelessness and impotence
the 'credit' it deserves when spawning terrorism. It is not the
hopelessness and powerlessness borne of individual circumstances, or
a run of bad luck, such as most of us in the wealthy and powerful US
might imagine.

It is a culture of generations of no hope, no power and no change. A
culture that has grown to mistrust any authority or have any
possibility for personal redemption, socially, culturally or
economically.

This situation is fertile ground for religious extremists, seeking
power, who then trade the offer of meaning in the form of zealotry
to these hopeless people in return for their lives. Hence terrorists
are born.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/UlWolB/TM