--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't think you are giving the hopelessness and impotence
> the 'credit' it deserves when spawning terrorism. It is not the
> hopelessness and powerlessness borne of individual circumstances, or
> a run of bad luck, such as most of us in the wealthy and powerful US
> might imagine.
>
> It is a culture of generations of no hope, no power and no change. A
> culture that has grown to mistrust any authority or have any
> possibility for personal redemption, socially, culturally or
> economically.
>
> This situation is fertile ground for religious extremists, seeking
> power, who then trade the offer of meaning in the form of zealotry
> to these hopeless people in return for their lives. Hence terrorists
> are born.

Well said, Jim. This is something that people who
live in our time and were raised in the affluent
West really don't understand. I've often thought
that the best thing that could ever happen to
America and Americans is to have some kind of
"compassion draft," in which every citizen is
required to travel in third world countries for
a year before they are allowed to vote and
become citizens. Most of them have never seen
the conditions they speak so glibly about.

And this hopelessness is neither new nor limited
to religions like Islam. Do you know what the
"recruiting spiel" was to get people to volunteer
to participate in the Crusades?

It's pretty fascinating. Life was tough in the
Middle Ages, and hopelessness was rampant then,
too. So the potential crusaders were promised
three things:

1. They were *guaranteed* heaven. All of their
worldly sins up to that point were forgiven, and
they were promised that nothing they ever did for
the rest of their lives would 'count against them.'
Pretty persuasive argument on its own for a people
who believed what their priests told them.

2. They could keep everything they could 'liberate'
while on crusade. This included property, jewels,
women, anything.

3. Interestingly, the clincher was the third 'guar-
antee.' While any member of a family was on crusade,
none of their debts could be collected. This was
rather important to many of the noble families,
because they were in hock up to their eyeballs.

So it isn't just those 'other' religions who play
on the hopelessness of a hard life. The Catholic
Church almost invented the concept.