> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sinhlnx" <sinhlnx@> wrote:
> > >
> > > ---(discussion below - TM and other techniques).  Vaj, I've
concluded
> > > that you were never initiated into TM, otherwise, you wouldn't be so
> > > misguided on the contrasts between TM and other techniques.  Please
> > > set the record straight: were you or were you not intiated into TM
> > > "as taught by MMY".?
> >
> > Vaj claims he was a *TM teacher*, amazingly enough.
> >

> As long as you follow the teaching guidelines, you don't need
> to "get" TM in order to teach it. THAT is MMY's contribution
> to the world. Gurudev obviously "got" TM and imparted the
> essential nature to many/all of his disciples, but MMY is the
> one who mechanized the teaching for the masses.

Well said.

I think that what is meant here (and often on this
forum) by "getting TM" is that the person who uses
that phrase is upset that the person they're
saying doesn't "get" TM doesn't buy into the dogma
about it 1) being The Best, or 2) The Only. *That*
is what threatens them in the critic (because they
*do* buy into this dogma), so to somehow "protect"
the cherished notion that TM is The Best, they try
to portray the critic as having never understood
"what TM is really about."

It's a fairly sad ploy, no matter who uses it. Of
course someone can understand everything about the
way that TM has been described and presentd by
Maharishi and, at the same time, not buy it, not
believe that the description is accurate. But some
people would like you to believe that this isn't
true.

TM is what it is. In my opinion it is a very valuable,
easily-learned technique of basic meditation. But
"The Best?" Give me a break? The very fact that its
promoters claim this should give one pause. NO tech-
nique or tradition is The Best; human beings are
different, and respond to different approaches to
self discovery differently, that's all. What may
be suitable for one person, or even many, may NOT
be suitable for others. The fact that the others
who have moved on from TM prefer a technique that
works better for them does not imply that they never
"got" TM. That's just something that people who are
threatened say to make themselves feel better for
having settled for the first technique they ever
tried.