> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <drpetersutphen@>
wrote:

> > But those big courses are fun. I was at Amherst in '79
> > and then at MIU for the winter one (was that 84 or
> > 85). Both were really amazing. I don't know if our
> > collective consciousness actually does anything, but
> > the subjective experiences are incredible when you
> > have large numbers doing program together.
>
> I agree. Personally, I attribute the subjective
> "high" to large numbers of people meditating
> together, and don't think that the siddhis have
> anything whatsoever to do with it, but I agree
> that large courses can be fun.
>
> Plus, I think that everyone senses that this
> may be the last of them. Maharishi isn't going
> to live forever, and when he goes, I have not
> seen any indication that *anyone* else within the
> TM movement could inspire more than a handful
> of people to come to a course. They could plead
> and cry and beg and claim that the world is going
> to end if people don't come, and everyone would
> ignore them, because they just don't have the
> chops to pull that sort of thing off. Not one
> of them. As I've said in another context recently,
> not one of them has done anything to *deserve*
> such faith or to inspire the necessary suspension
> of disbelief. And not one of them is likely to
> in any of our lifetimes.

As I read your post, two personalities came to mind:

1) Muktananda.  Replaced by his "dual" chosen successors -- a
brother and sister -- there was almost immediately a huge fight
between the two of them, with the sister winning out.  That, along
with the fact that neither of them possessed the charisma of
Muktananda, meant that their organisation is today but a glimmer of
what it was during Muktananda's hayday.  Of course there's also
the "sexual revelation" factor as well: that is, the revelations
about sex that came up in a big way after his death also contributed
to the loss of popularity of their movement.

So this is an interesting model for what may befall the TMO after
MMY dies: we on this forum know that sexual revelations will be
coming out,just as they did with Muktananda.  The difference is that
Muktananda allegedly had relations with young girls and MMY's
alleged dalliances were with fully formed females (i.e. 18 years
plus).

But the other similar factor is the "charisma factor".  As you point
out, who on the horizon has the same degree of charisma?

2) Castro.  As is inevitable with many Communist dictatorships, once
the charismatic leader dies, the regime dies as well...doesn't
always happen (witness North Korea)and may not happen with Cuba.
But I always think of how once these dictatorships and regimes fall
after the leader dies and how the underlings responsible for
propping up the dictator during his lifetime inevitably fall back on
the "I had no choice" line whenever they are questioned as to why
they supported the horrible policies that they did when he was alive.

Am I stretching it to suggest that that is precisely what certain
higher-up muckety-mucks in the TMO will say when, post MMY, they are
questioned as to why they supported various schemes and silliness?