> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, MDixon6569@ wrote:
> >

> > In a message dated 8/1/06 12:50:58 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> > jstein@ writes:
> >
> > *If* he  really wants to be a decent person and live
> > up to his Christian ideals, his  father's anti-
> > Semitism must be a horrible conflict for him. He
> > seems  not to be able to cross his father; maybe
> > he's afraid his father won't  love him any more if
> > he does. Not a good place to be  in.
> >
> > He may believe in the biblical teaching that one doesn't betray
or
> > disrespect ones authority figures, no matter how wrong the may be
> > because God gave them authority over you.
>
> On the other hand, he has said that his father has
> "never lied to him."
>
> It's a good point, though, that he may actually have
> a religious conflict, but I'd suggest that's in
> addition to an emotional conflict about publicly
> disagreeing with his father.
>
> As a public figure himself who made a controversial
> movie about Jesus Christ, he can't just keep entirely
> silent.  He's going to be asked about it over and
> over, and whatever he says is going to be given wide
> publicity.  So he really is between a rock and a hard
> place.  He can't publicly *agree OR disagree* with
> his father.
>
> No wonder he drinks...

Hmm.  Now I'm wondering whether the idea of making
the movie about Christ was part of this prompting I
suggested he's getting from his psyche to get the
conflict with his father out in the open and deal
with it.

That didn't work, so the next thing was for him to
have a drunken meltdown in which he more or less
channeled his father.

Gibson was very good, by the way, in the movie
"Hamlet," which he directed and starred in.
"Hamlet" is very much about father conflicts.

Does "Braveheart" have anything about fathers
in it?  I never saw it.

I did see "Patriots" (and wished I hadn't--it was
dreadful).  Can't recall whether there was father
stuff in that--he *plays* a father, but I'm not
sure there was anything in it that resonated with
the current situation.