> Again, it was always stressed, in my experience, that
> celibacy was a *calling*, not a discipline.  "Agreement
> with the body" actually conveys that idea: if your body
> wants to have sex, no such agreement can be made.

But with all due respect, as I understand, you were never on a TTC,
ATR or hung around MMY. What may have been stressed to you -- again by
those flakey NY teachers (joke, (though valid in some cases) I knew
and flew regularly with a number of them). My observation is that
teachers would "spin" things they had heard from MMY to make it more
palitable to "meditators" back at the center.

And many things MMY said on TTCs, ATRs, and other advanced courses was
for teachers. Not for meditators. Not that it was "super secret" nor
"dual teachings", but most teachers knew the line between what MMY
told teachers and what was appropriate to tell the public and
meditators in the field. And I beleive he told Purusha more explicit
things.

> I don't mean to suggest that celibacy might not
> facilitate enlightenment, at least on certain paths;
> but I strongly suspect fighting with your body to
> stay celibate for that purpose is actually
> counterproductive to enlightenment.

Thats your suspicion. Not what MMY said.
Once some said, "But selibacy is hard!". He said, "yes it is hard."
and went on to extol or at least allude to its benefits.

> It always sounded to me more like,

"Sounds to you" from teachers in the field. Who are creatively
finesseing and spinning to some degree. Not the same as coming rom
MMY's mouth in smaller goups.

>If you can
> comfortably take or leave sex, leaving it is an
> advantage when you're pursuing enlightenment; you
> don't have to indulge in sex just because it's
> considered "normal."

That may be a wise thing, and is sort of the slant I have heard SSRS
give. On advanced courses. On his TTC's, perhaps he takes a different
angle. However, its not the slant I heard MMY take many times.