> On Aug 5, 2006, at 2:28 PM, sparaig wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer <groups@> wrote:

> >> Sure he could. Brahman is a field of all possibilities. I think he
> >> was
> >> clearly trying to convey the message to TM meditators who might be
> >> tempted
> >> to get involved with SSRS, or who already had, that although he
> >> seems sweet,
> >> you¹ll end up regretting your involvement. Not saying that¹s true,
> >> but
> >> that¹s the obvious purport of his words.
> >>

> > The EEG studies that they published show it has a radically
> > different effect than TM does.
>
> Are you implying that those doing SSRS's Sahaj meditation are
> different than TM, even though they're doing the same technique?\\

There's very little published research on Sahaj meditation, and how do you know
they're
doing the same technique? Have you taken the course? I know plenty ofpeople who
have
taken TM who think that Benson's Relaxation Response is identical to TM, so I
don't trust
others' judgement on these matters.

> If so that's interesting because it would likely explain possible
> bias in TM researchers looking for something they were told to find
> or misinterpreting something as unique when it is not. It would
> really explain a lot.
>
> Of course there is no reason why the two should not be identical. If
> you are really interested in science, this should have been a red flag.

Two things: SSRS's main technique, the one I wsa referring to, is a pranayama
technique.
Also, it is only hearsay that his meditation technique is identical to TM.

> Is that what you are saying, that TM EEG results are "radically
> different" from SSRS's research findings?

On the subject of his main technique, the pranayama, yes. I'm not aware of any
research
on his meditation technique...

Ah., one medline hit for sahaj. No EEG research, so no comparison can be made:

Effect of Sahaj Yoga on depressive disorders.

Sharma VK,
Das S,
Mondal S,
Goswampi U,
Gandhi A.
Department of Physiology, Vardhaman Mahavir Medical College, New Delhi--110
029.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sahaj Yoga is a meditative technique that has been found to have beneficial
effects in
some psycho-somatic illnesses. The study was carried out on 30 cases (19 Males,
11
females, age 18-45 years) of major depression diagnosed on the basis of DSM IV
criteria.
The patients were then randomly divided into two groups: Group 1: (10 Males & 5
Females) Patients who were practising Sahaj Yoga and also received conventional
anti-
depressants. Group 2: (9 Males & 6 Females) Patients who were only receiving
conventional anti-depressants. Training in Sahaj yoga was conducted under the
supervision of a trained Sahaj Yogi for 8 weeks. At start of the study, all the
patients were
subjected to Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression (HAM-D) and Hamilton Rating
Scale for
Anxiety (HAM-A). Above scales were again assessed after two months of
treatment. There
was significant improvement in HAM-D as well as HAM-A scores in both Group 1
and
Group 2 patients (P<0.001). However, percentage improvement in HAM-D scores and
HAM-A scores in patients receiving Sahaj Yoga was significantly higher than in
Group 2
patients. The number of patients who went into remission after two months of
intervention were also significantly higher in Group 1 patients (P=0.02). The
present study
demonstrates that Sahaj Yoga has got a potential role as a component in the
management
of depressive disorders.
PMID: 16579401 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]