> In a message dated 8/11/06 10:47:17 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>

> > It's a mothers right to choose. Women have the right to decide
if

> > > I don't  know how the heck you'd regulate it. Ban
> > > the aborting of female  fetuses but not male? How
> > > long would it be before you had an  imbalance the
> > > other way?
> >
> > Ban  anything that can be used to determine the sex of the fetus.
> > Ultrasound while the mom isn't allowed to look, would be OK, as
> > long as  the doctor doesn't reveal the sex.
> >
> > Why not just ban abortion all together?
>
> Yeah, in a  country like China. That will work..
>
> Certainly you wouldn't want some politician or dictator telling you
> what  the sex of a child you are permitted to bring into the world
> or abort  should be.

This really isn't the simplistic issue some would
like to make it.  There isn't any "good" solution
that's actually feasible given the situation in
China.

The ideal solution would involve everyone in China
practicing sound birth-control methods *and* the
society having a means of adequately taking care of
the elderly so they wouldn't starve if they had no
male children to support them, and/or ensuring that
female children have the same opportunities that
male children do so females could support their
parents too.

But these kinds of changes aren't *feasible* in
China, at least in the short run; they couldn't
be accomplished in time to avoid massive hardship
if abortion were banned entirely or if the status
quo of women selectively aborting female fetuses
were maintained.

So what you have to look for is the least-bad
*feasible* solution that will allow the society
to function while you work for longer-term, more
positive changes.