Very good points about needs, Bill, and how we all need to overcome
them--ha, ha.

I personally started TM for the relaxation benefits it claimed you'd
feel, and that is still why I continue the practice.  The concept of
"enlightenment," whatever it might mean to others, is so vague as to be
meaningless IMO, and as such has never had much of a  place in my world
view  and hence stay out of all discussions in which it comes up. (Not
to mention the fact that, probably because of its vagueness, I find
most discussions of it kind of boring.  But others obviously don't, so
discuss away! :) )

Sal