<shempmcgurk@>
> > wrote:

> Time,

> > > decide if
> individual
> > > rights
> unregulated.

> fetus.
> > > Ultrasound
> > > doesn't reveal

> > > Judy thinks that a law banning the use of ultrasound to
> determine
> > > the sex of a child is actually workable.
> > >
> > > Gee.  One of the reasons given by pro-choicers has always been
> that
> > > legalizing abortions makes it safe because women are going to
go
> > > underground and go to abortionists anyways when it's not legal.
> > >
> > > Judy will have us believe that a society that will have
> inevitably
> > > have illegal abortionists if abortion is denied by law will
> somehow
> > > strictly enforce the banning of ultrasound machines -- a
> procedure
> > > that is entirely harmless -- in order to determine the sex of a
> > > baby.
> >
> > It's called "the lesser of two evils," Shemp,
> > in a society that values children of one sex
> > over the other.
>
> That's not the point, Judy.
>
> The point I'm making here is that even if you were to codify the
> banning of ultrasounds for the purpose of determining a fetus's
> sex, do you honestly think that this would prevent its widespread
> use in society?

It would certainly *reduce* it.  Abortions can be
done in back alleys with coathangers by unlicensed
practitioners.  You can't do an ultrasound without
an office, an expensive piece of equipment, and
someone trained to run the equipment and interpret
the results.

Of course, you can't stop practitioners from
whispering in their patients' ears.  But if you find
that certain practitioners are aborting a high
percentage of female fetuses after administering an
ultrasound--or even if you found a high percentage
of pregnant women who did not carry the child to
term after an ultrasound (i.e., they went to a back-
alley abortionist)--you could impose sanctions on
the ultrasound practitioners.