On Aug 22, 2006, at 6:49 PM, authfriend wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Sal Sunshine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 22, 2006, at 5:45 PM, authfriend wrote:
>>
>>> I had to supply it to my lawyer when I purchased a
>>> condo recently; the town requires it to transfer the
>>> deed.  And as I noted, a physician I went to for a
>>> flu shot asked for it as well.  It's still fairly
>>> common.

And those are routine occurrences?

>> Only in your world, Judy.
>
> Uh, no, Sal.  It's still fairly common, as I said
> (and the AARP confirms).
>
>> Last time I got a flu shot I paid them 10
>> bucks and they gave me the shot.  I could have been a Martian for
>> all they cared.
>
> And that proves...what, exactly?
>
> My health insurance card, with TEIGIT, has my SS#
> on it.  I complained to them, because I can't carry
> the card in my wallet.  They said they were working
> on a new system, but it wouldn't be ready for some
> time yet.

Well, neither my health insurance card or that for my kids has any SS
#s on it.  My driver's license used to, but they stopped that years
ago.  I don't remember whether or not I had to give it to apply for any
of the credit cards I've had over the years.

> I had to give my SS# to open a bank account six
> five years ago.  You have to give it on most
> credit card applications.  My landlord wanted it
> when I first rented the condo I just bought, also
> five years ago.

And these relate to the TMO how, exactly? Would you describe any of the
above situations as routine?

I thought SS #s were used  when security issues were at stake, like
with savings accounts and deeds, or when dealing with large amounts of
people.  Neither of those situations applies to the TMO courses,
especially nowadays.

> You didn't answer my question, Sal.  I don't think you
> have any actual threat in mind.  You just thought it
> sounded good to use the word "intimidation."

And you've proven my point for me, by admitting you wouldn't give it to
them.  I think they know perfectly well that people, in general, don't
like to give them out and probably never have.  I doubt they'd use them
for anything (since to my knowledge they never actually have)-- It's a
power trip.  And I don't think getting involved in that kind of game is
healthy.

And another point--usually when an organization asks you for one,
that's it.  They don't keep asking you every single time.  These idiots
just want you to know they've got something on you--again and again.

> And again, see the AARP link, which explains why
> SS#s are routinely used for identification.

I didn't see any link.

>>> For the record, if I had to give them my SS# to
>>> go on a course these days, I wouldn't do it, even
>>> if it meant I couldn't go.  I don't trust them to
>>> keep those records secure from people who might
>>> use them for identity theft.
>>
>> So then you *do* think they could be used for nefarious purposes--
>
> Of course.  But that's not why the TMO is asking for
> them, obviously.

OK, why are they asking for them then?

>> who else besides people in the TMO would ever have access to that
>> info?
>
> Not everyone in the TMO is necessarily an upstanding
> citizen, first of all.  Some lower-level administrative
> person with financial needs and no scruples might have
> access to a list of SS#s and get ideas.  Lists of SS#s
> are worth big bucks in the identity theft market.  You
> can sell them to brokers, who then sell them to
> individuals who commit the actual identity theft.
>
> Second, there are any number of ways the numbers could
> get to non-TMO people.  Someone could walk in a door
> left unlocked and steal the records; some nitwit TMer
> could throw a batch of unneeded printouts in the trash;
> a janitor could find the records sitting on someone's
> desk; a hacker could break into the computer system if
> it weren't secured properly, etc., etc., etc.
>
> This is why you don't want to have to give out your
> SS# if you can possibly avoid it--because they're
> *worth lots of money*, and even an organization
> with the most spotless motives can be careless about
> how they're handled.
>
> Knowing the level of disorganization and general
> incompetence in the TMO, I simply wouldn't trust them
> to keep the numbers secure.

That's my point exactly.  Whether it's directly by someone with some
nefarious intent, or simply because some idiot gets careless, you would
not trust the TMO with potentially sensitive information.  Neither
would I.

Sal